Well it’s the 31st of the month and for the *5th time since 2013 I have completed Dry January!
I must say that it has been much much easier than my first “dry run” back in 2013. Having so much to focus on to do with health and new beginnings has pretty much laid to rest any real cravings for the old vino in the evenings. Being in the throes of the menopause – alcohol – and especially my favourite drink red wine – has definitely not been my friend. Like many women I have found that it exacerbates many of the symptoms like hot flushes, palpitations and anxiety.
So as February looms I am setting out a new plan to remain alcohol free for 100 days. I’ve got lots to do to keep me busy and focused – the yoga teacher training has been amazing so far (I will be writing in depth more about this soon) and I need to keep myself fit, calm and centred!
In case I need a reminding here are just some of the benefits I’ve gained from the last 31 days:
- I have lost 8lb
- My skin is clearer
- I am sleeping so much better
- I no longer suffer from palpitations in the small hours accompanied by the feeling that I am about to shuffle off this mortal coil
- My resting pulse has come down by over 10 beats per second
- I have had far fewer hot flushes
- I feel happier and more optimistic
So – onwards and upwards – cheers to the next milestone – 100 alcohol free days (and nights!)
* See HERE for how I caved last year!
Cheers – my last drink of 2017!
Ready for my new yoga challenge!